Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

Let's Start with the Basics: Good Skin Care.

Why Suffer?

To get good skin, everyone knows that water, avoiding soda, and taking your vitamins are a must.  The real reason why I have great skin?  Because I'm a major proponent of preemptive care!

My whole life, I've had people tell me I have great skin and that I [said with a hint of annoyance] "never get" acne.  My first secret is that when I got my first blemish in sixth grade, I rushed straight to the dermatologist for treatment.  This was probably one of the first warning flags that my mom saw, telling her she was raising a perfectionist (I prefer "strong attention to detail").  Since then, I've tried relatively mild topical and oral solutions, but post-college, I didn't want to be committed to putting unnatural things into my body.

For day-in, day-out use, I swear by:

Neutrogena's Complete Acne Therapy System (Three step skin care process).  Be careful with colored towels and sheets, because it will bleach them.  I always use white sheets and towels for this reason (the night cream has a little bit of Benzoyl Peroxide in it).

Here's my skin sans makeup - On a safari in Africa, nonetheless!  Definitely no concealer.



However, I usually swap out the Neutrogena daily moisturizer for Shiseido's The Skincare Day Moisture Protection SPF 15, because I find it less greasy.

I also alternate face washes with good ole St. Ives.  I love St. Ives Apricot Scrub, as well as their Green Tea Scrub.  I usually use my Clarisonic Mia face brush in the morning with a St. Ives face wash, and save Neutrogena for the evening.

For on the spot treatment, I recommend Clean & Clear's Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment.

For a gentler treatment system (no Benzoyl Peroxide), I also love La Roche Posay's skin treatment system: Effaclar Purifying Foam Gel and Effaclar K Duo Dual Action Acne Treatment.

More on vitamins and nighttime skin regime later.  This covers your basic foundation for good skin.  Your best face forward is always a clear face!  You should be confident enough in your skin to not need to wear foundation to the gym.


No comments:

Post a Comment